Position Title: Senior Loss Control Consultant
Multi-line field position with primary responsibilities of conducting physical Underwriting Loss Control Surveys and/or provide Large Account Policy Services for technically complex, large or high profile accounts with coverage in all product lines. All work completed is done in accordance with AmTrust North America corporate risk and loss control program(s) guidelines and procedures. This position reports to a Regional Manager, who reports to the Vice President of Loss Control.
• Conduct physical Underwriting Loss Control Surveys, at client locations, to determine potential hazards and risk factors to be considered in underwriting/risk selection.
• Provides Large Account Policy Services for large, complex, high profile risks, primarily with Workers’ Compensation coverage. Nevertheless, there may be some services needed/provided for risks with other lines of coverage, as well.
• Provides technical advice and support for internal business partners (underwriting, claims, etc.), and external partners (policyholder/risk, agent, broker, etc.).
• Write technically detailed reports that provide a clear assessment of risk and clearly articulate recommendations. Provide analysis and risk solutions for insured risks.
• Analyze loss trends, recognize opportunities to provide risk control products and/or services which can help reduce losses. Explain how their recommendations or products can help minimize losses.
• Develop and maintain productive “ambassador-type” relationships with both internal and external business partners.
• Conduct research for underwriters or clients on class of business, operations, unique or unidentified exposures, or any other technical subject requiring similar analysis for region(s) or product lines assigned.
• Manage assigned territory and accounts/policyholders, and ensure each one gets the appropriate level of service based on line of business, premium size, and size/scope of operations.
• Provide training for underwriters and internal loss control field staff, as well as loss control representatives as directed by direct Manager or Home Office Loss Control (HOLC).
• Maintain current knowledge of regulatory environment and emerging safety issues to be able to explain to customers how the issues impact them, and what they can do to be pro-active in preventing losses within their operations. Identify areas where a risk/policyholder is falling short, and use that as an example of why they need to follow the recommendations issued by Loss Control Representatives.
• Maintain timely, relevant communications with HOLC as needed/required.
• Must have 7 plus years experience providing loss control and risk management to all major P&C lines.
• Have 5+ years experience handling/coordinating complex risks.
• Advanced Loss Control Accreditations preferred, but may be offset with work experience in Loss Control.
• College degree (4 year degree or higher) preferably in the Safety & Health field of studies; may be offset by work experience in Loss Control.
• Must be able to work remotely, and at times travel extensively.
• Ability to analyze loss information to identify root causes and develop loss sensitive recommendations.
• Provide input to underwriting to help leverage marketing opportunities (primarily related to prospective policyholders).
• Able to builds credibility with internal and external customers.
• Creates customer satisfaction by demonstrating the value of risk control services.
• Apply or locate appropriate resource for customer.
• Able to works autonomously with little direct supervision; continually assesses workload in light of business priorities; directs own efforts accordingly
• Understands self-limitations and knows when it is appropriate to escalate an issue to management, or to collaborate with others on technical questions/issues, etc.
• Must be able to drive, with a valid drivers’ license in good standing.
• Must possess a vehicle in good physical and working condition for business travel purposes, with adequate insurance coverage.
• Must be able to climb ladders and stairs, as well as transition to and from ladders or stairs in order to access building roof areas and upper or lower floors within a risk’s site during loss control surveys.
• Have the ability to navigate through risk’s sites in a safe manner, which may include manufacturing areas, warehouses, storage yards, construction sites, etc. which may present surfaces that are uneven, wet, icy, and somewhat unstable or covered with debris.
• Have the ability to navigate within a risk’s facility in low light or relatively dark conditions.
• Must have the ability to work under exposure to extreme outdoor/indoor conditions (heat, snow, cold, rain etc.).
• Be capable of making regular and prompt travel, over extended distances, by air or vehicle while demonstrating effective planning, expense and cost control skills.
This position requires 85% travel with occasional overnight trips.
Territory is North New Jersey, Central New Jersey, NY - 5 Borroughs, So. NY, Long island and East PA